HAMSTER Health Information
"Sniff, sniff, scratch, scratch." ...HAMSTER
HAMSTER Medicine Information
- Liquid medication is best given by using a syringe or eye dropper to draw up the required amount of medication.
- Hold the hamster’s head and neck with one hand and use the other hand to insert the tip of the syringe or eyedropper behind the front teeth.
- When the hamster opens its mouth to try and spit out the syringe, slowly administer the medication into its mouth.
- Pills should be crushed before they are given to hamsters.
- Mix the crushed pill with ¼ teaspoon (1ml) of flavored Sustacal or Ensure.
- Use a syringe or eyedropper, as described above, to administer the liquid.
The US Humane Society has not established any guidelines for Hamster Vaccination.
When faced with life threatening illnesses, hamsters will require veterinary care with in hours of the first symptoms. Do not delay in seeking medical help for your hamster if it exhibits any of the following sypmptoms:
- Uncontrollable bleeding – from self induced injuries or if attacked by a predator.
- Broken bones – including injuries caused from falling
- Extreme drop in body temperature – including shock caused by being drenched with water
- Severe Diarrhea
- Difficulty breathing or labored breathing
- Blood present in urine – orange or red colored urine
- Poisoning – look for signs of temporary paralysis