GUINEA PIG Health Information
"I'm not a pig!" ...GUINEA PIG
GUINEA PIG Medicine Information
- Liquid medication is best given by using a syringe or eye dropper to draw up the required amount of medication.
- Hold the guinea pigs head and neck with one hand and use the other hand to insert the tip of the syringe or eyedropper behind the front teeth.
- When the guinea pig opens its mouth to try and spit out the syringe, slowly administer the medication into its mouth.
- Pills should be crushed before they are given to guinea pigs.
- Mix the crushed pill with ¼ teaspoon (1ml) of flavored Sustacal or Ensure.
- Use a syringe or eyedropper, as described above, to administer the liquid.
GUINEA PIG Vaccinations
Guinea pigs do not require any specific vaccinations. When adopting a new pet guinea pig, be sure to inspect it carefully for any signs of mites or parasites.
GUINEA PIG Emergencies
When faced with life threatening illnesses, guinea pigs will require veterinary care with in hours of the first symptoms. Do not delay in seeking medical help for your pet if it exhibits any of the following sypmptoms:
- Uncontrollable bleeding from self induced injuries or if attacked by a predator.
- Broken bones including injuries caused from falling
- Extreme drop in body temperature including shock caused by being drenched with water
- Severe Diarrhea
- Difficulty breathing or labored breathing
- Blood present in urine orange or red colored urine
- Poisoning look for signs of temporary paralysis